"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

JANUARY 2024

 PARTY WITH THE MAUGHANS

We met up with the Maughans at the church for a little fun and games.  Since we couldn't do New Year's Eve with them this year.  They brought pizza, we brought some wings, we all brought snacks and chips and drinks- pretty good buffet to nibble on while we played card games and then chair soccer for quite a while and some lightning and basketball.  It was a lot of fun.  It was fun that Rachel and Kelly were there for most of it.  Bummed when they had to leave.  But good fun.  Nate had to go work the mid, so we had to hurry and clean up and say goodbye to him.  Good times tho.  1-2-24

SLEEP MONITOR
I picked up my sleep monitor on Tuesday afternoon.  I was feeling all pumped to do it that night and of course it ended up being a complete disaster!!  There's a dumb canula to measure my breathing, that was the worst part- I hate those things.  Then an elastic around my chest and then one around my belly with a big box with recording stuff in it- super huge, not tight enough to stay in place, so I was adjusting those ALL night.  Then there was the dumb O2 monitor on my finger, the giant O2 monitor.  Stuck to my finger and then a giant box wrapped around my wrist for that.  SO OBNOXIOUS all the stuff I had to wear!!!  I wanted to kill something by the time I got it all on.  My O2 was a distraction all night.  I honestly didn't sleep hardly at all.  I think maybe 20 minutes at a time here and there, but overall, I was NOT asleep.  Then, to top things off, Sadie's legs were hurting in the night, so I had to get up with her and brought her in my bed to sleep.  That was the end.  I didn't even try to sleep after that.  It was so ridiculous.  I have no faith in whatever results they pull from that monitor.  If they tell me everything was fine, I am not going to believe it and if they tell me I have sleep apnea I'm going to laugh because I WASN'T ASLEEP!!!  So anyway.  Not my best night.  Been recovering ever since.  1-2-24

CAFE PERU
My mom invited us to lunch at a Peruvian restaurant in Salt Lake.  This was a really fun experience.  It was a small little place, but really clean, bright, I loved the big pictures on the walls of Peru.  The places we've all seen on our Google searches of Peru.  Machu Picchu, etc.  It was really cool.  The food was really good.  Mine seemed Chinese and it got me thinking about how Brad had said that they went to a Chinese restaurant his first day.  I guess there is a really heavy Asian influence there.  The lady serving us was SO sweet and so fun to talk about Brad and where he is and then she showed us some cool pictures on her phone.  Sweet lady.  It was really cool.  It was a little pricey, but we loved the experience of tasting a little of what Brad might be eating right now.  1-3-24

JACK'S FIRST YOUTH ACTiVITY
Jack got to go have his first activity with the Deacons.  They went and learned how to pass the sacrament.  I think he's starting to get a little nervous about that.  Hopefully he has some positive help and can feel comfortable.  1-3-24

CLASSIC FUN CENTER
We finally, very anticlimactically announced to some of the kids that we got them Get Out passes for Christmas.  For some reason, I forgot to give them on Christmas and then we just kept putting it off.  But we did today, and wanted to use them, so we (just Kelly, Erika, Molly, Sadie and I) went skating at Classic.  I did the whole Get Pass wrong, but they let us in anyway.  This was very exciting for Sadie.  She loved it!  She just brought her scooter and scooted around the whole time, but she keeps asking when she can go back to the ice skating rink.  Molly had a good time too- she is pretty good on roller blades.  Erika and Kelly were so fun with the younger girls and made this a really special fun night by skating with them a bunch.  I had had to donate my socks to Molly, so I wasn't able to skate, but I had a nice time watching everyone and enjoyed the chatting while they were taking their breaks.  Fun time.  1-3-24

BASKETBALL TRYOUTS
Erika had to have tryouts on the first day back to school from Christmas Break!  Holy moly.  She was really excited, but so nervous!  I knew she was going to do great!  She made the first cuts and had to go do some further tryouts the next day where they told them they were all on the team.  She had to wait the weekend to find out about varsity and JV.  She ended up making JV with the hope that she will be called on to play varsity once and a while.  I think once they see her with the girls who can play they will wish she was on the team.  But we're so proud of her!!  She's done so well at really progressing and growing this talent of hers!  So cool!  Here comes basketball season!!  1-4-24--1-5-24

FIRST BASKETBALL GAMES OF THE SEASON
Noah and Luke's team had an amazing come back on Thursday night.  I was pretty impressed that they were able to come back from being behind almost 10 points.  They won by like four. On Saturday, Jack's team played hard.  It was a bummer they didn't win, but Jack scored!!  And got a Fiiz.  
Erika's team would have had to forfeit, but they stole some players from the game before ours and we actually did amazing!  It was a really fun game.  I'm not sure how many games we will be able to not forteit with her team.  One girl is injured and another one has decided not to play.  So we'll see.  Hopefully there's someone to borrow every week. 1-4-24

DATE NIGHT
Nate's been on the carnivore diet this month so Tucanos was the perfect place to eat for our date night!  We had a nice time.  I love the cheese balls :).  We went and saw the new Wonka movie after.  1-5-24

SUNDAY SCHOOL
I taught our new class for the first time.  This was interesting!  It's a lot noisier and it takes longer to go around the room with things, but it was SO MUCH FUN to have everyone there!!  I hope they all come every week!  Good group of kids.  This was the 2006 and 2007 kids.  Hopefully my lesson on the introduction to the BOM was good enough.  1loved that Steve thought of an analogy for the keystone blocks that I hadn't.  1-7-24

ORDINATIONS
This was such a neat experience!  Did not disappoint!  We had Luke ordain Noah a Priest- this was really special and cool that Luke braved it out.  Noah was in tears!!!  So after Noah and he was able to wipe away his tears, he ordained Jack Deacon!  So special!!!  We were all in awe at how powerful the Spirit was in the room.  So sweet!!  Jack was so excited for this and I think he's going to really embrace his new position in the Church. 1-7-24

LUKE
Luke was a different kid today.  He was being so much fun with all the younger kids all day.  Even got them doing pushups during the game.  Then when I joked about him cleaning up the kitchen to bust his boredom, he replied that he was not to the age where you clean the kitchen when you're bored and I rebuttled back with something about it not being an age thing.  Then an hour or so later, I came back downstairs from putting Sadie in bed and there he was, sweeping the kitchen, the last step to his cleaning job!  He had cleaned the whole kitchen!  Awesome kid!  Almost made me cry.  1-7-24

BRAD'S PHONE CALL
I felt a little guilty being able to talk to Brad all by myself when he called this week.  I did pass the phone around, everyone HERE got a chance, but poor Nate missed out.  Steve was still here, finishing off dinner, so even Steve got to say hi.  We're not sure how to solve this problem.  Brad says he is only allowed one call.  I think this is a rule made by his trainer, not sure.  His P-day being on Monday has kind of thrown off the groove, but I think we'll get a new one.  Anyway- it was fun to talk to him, he sounded a little better from the week before.  I think he is getting the hang of things.  His comp is still hard, but they're adjusting I think.  He's teaching him English.  So that's funny.  I loved being able to see him smile as he joked with him.  The kids all loved being able to have a few minutes with him too.  He decided he's going to try to have a PMG study session with Luke and Noah on Monday mornings, we'll see how that goes.  With Luke's home release first period it will be a challenge to get him up.  But overall, it was a nice chat with Brad.  He loves the family who know some English and treat him really well.  He is fine with all the chicken and rice :).  He looks great.  Only two more weeks til transfers (according to Brad :) ).  1-7-24

BRAD'S EMAIL- I am more than halfway of the time it takes for a child to be born
This week was pretty awesome. Its still crazy to me how many different emotions i can experience throughout the day but how one always trumps the other haha. Probably because i just get more tired throughout the day so everything becomes a little more dramatic because I am dramatic person. This week we've been doing sooo much walking because I dont want to pay for a taxi so my calves and shins and quads have all decided to not function. Pretty sure my body is slowly dying and falling apart, kinda how it does in track when im finally getting the hang of things and then boom my ankle breaks or sum but this time is different because i'm serving the lord so i shouldnt have to worry. This week we experienced so many miracles and our shower water is slowly feeling less like an ice bath every day so thats also a huge miracle. 

Sunday was amazing, i have never really truly focused during the sacrament and focused on the words and the reason we have the sacrament. It was such an amazing experience and as we can focus on the why we need the sacrament and how important it is... I'm sure we'd all realize that text from that girl you're into can wait until after the sacrament. Today was pretty sweet bit crazy because Mollendo is a beach town so it was absolutely packkkked with people and lots of loud music/parties. We got a referral from a member and shes sooo elect. Then later tonight we got to have a feast with our pensionista and our zone. Lots and lots of fireworks and since most people dont have roofs they just light them in their houses and shoot them through the roof they dont⁰ have. 

Monday- p day, we played lors of soccer and then went and played some volleyball... it was kinda funny to watch... they dont have hand coordination here. We had dinner with a friend that is so elect but somehow hasnt been baptized but has been talking with missionaries for yearssss.

Tuesday- taught the referal and then sanded the members house for 2 hours and now my poor pants are kinda destroyed but i'm pretty sure i can fix them. 

Wednesday- District council today, my district leader is kinda a bully but its okay we survive. I am teaching english to th spanish elders and really have no clue how to do so. Im realizing how little english i actually know. We had divisiones today and it was actually so hype. We had a lesson with this dad and his little kids and it was so fun. They all seemed so interested and the next day I heard they were asking for me so im hoping i left a good impression haha

Thursday- not much happened but we had a lesson with 2 young boys but they both didn't really seem to interested sooo yeah

Friday- soooo good. We met with our friend fiorella and she accepted a baptismal invitation!! Its sad because the transfer is coming up so I might not even get to be there which is sad. But shes so ready and wants to change its amazing. Something big for her is she just wants peace and we promised her this will bring her so much peace. She also knows english, french, and german and is like fluent in all of them. Hopefully i stay but that also might mean i'm training because president told me I probably will which is terrifying because my spanish aint nowhere near ready...

Saturday- we did nothing i swear. We had a dinner with our friend omar and his family. They said they will come to church and they literally live across the street from it so they have no excuse not to. His 2 kids are absolute geniuses and are like famous or something. Super fun but probably not worth our time. Its been a slow week because everyone has been out partying. This week is the anniversary of Mollendo so theres been hige concerts and parties on the beach and everyone is gone from their homes haha. 

Sunday- i started fasting in the beginning of the day and apparently here they fast from lunch to lunch so i decided to do that too because why not, and now im dying because thats a really long time. But we had a lot of friends show up to church and set our friend jhon on date for the 20th so hopefully thatll go through. 

Spiritual thought: its not the situation but your actitude that determines the outcome...not sure if this is correct but im going; I don't have pics this week bit will have a Google photos link next week for you all. Sorry this is a short spiritual thought we are walking lots and don't have much time rn
1-8-24


FHE
I taught the lesson.  Can't remember it now.  Luke's game was watching the Jazz game, but Molly was sad we weren't actually playing a game, so she and I downloaded Wheel of Fortune on the Infinity and played that with Jack and Erika the whole time.  Cinnamon rolls for the treat!  1-8-24

REMOTE LEARNING DAY FOR LUKE AND NOAH
I really wish I had something really exciting to write about for this, but they didn't seem to want to do anything.  Noah had wanted to go to the mall and so did Sadie, so we did do that!  Luke was sleeping.  We checked out the Hey Dudes, didn't like any, bought some online instead, got some pretzel bites and then hung out in the little playground until Sadie was not happy and then dragged her out of there kicking and screaming.  So fun.  A few minutes after we got home, Nate showed up with pretzel bites and a bag from Dick's Sporting Goods, we had probably JUST missed him!  So funny.  We're finally making plans for Noah's friend party and birthday.  1-9-24

NOAH'S GLOW UP DAY!
Noah got his braces off!  Pretty exciting.  He looks great!  He says his teeth feel slimy.  Time to pretend like he's wearing his retainer.  1-10-24

PTA
I went to the PTA  meeting this week.  Kinda strange.  I just do not care about that stuff anymore.  And the President doesn't know who I am- HA!  Almost said things about me she may have regretted, but luckily the ladies who know me, stopped her.  1-10-24

YOUTH PARENT MEETING
I love when they let the youth run things.  They did a great job running things tonight.  I wish the adults would have just sat there.  But that's okay.  It's going to be a fun year!! 1-10-24

NOAH'S 16th BIRTHDAY
We stayed up all night perfecting his sign and it did not disappoint.  He was very happy with it in the morning :).  Kept talking about it.  The crepes fell flat when I learned we didn't have cool whip- I tried to push the ice cream idea, but it was not received well.  We'll save them for another day I guess.  The huge ol' stack.  We said good bye, then at 11:45 Sadie and I went and checked him out and took him to the DLD to get his drivers license.  We had a whole plan to get his license then go to lunch, but found out he hadn't taken the little online test thing yet.  So we got in the car, went and got food from Carls Jr. and Noah watched the videos and entertained us with his questions and test scores as we got food and ate in the car.  So memorable really.  We went back to the DLD, they gave him his temporary and he is officially official!  Good job Noah!!  Fun that we got to do it on his birthday!  I spent the rest of the day working on his brownies.  He wanted a hurdle cake with brownies so I did part of a track with some pretzel hurdles and then worked on a modeling chocolate Noah for about an hour and a half before deciding it wasn't going to work and moved on to cleaning up the kitchen and house.  It was a mad dash.  I was able to squeeze out a chocolate stick guy hurdler, which ended up looking really cool, but it was a mad dash!  I was kind of okay with it melting later.  But it did end up looking good.  Or sick in Noah's words.  We spoiled him with his family party: enchiladas, brownies and cookies and cream ice cream and lots of sick gifts Nate picked out!  Jazz Jersey, Jazz hat and a backpack for track.  The grandparents gave him lots of cash too. We were happy Charity and Hunter came to grace us with their presence :).  It's always a special occasion with the big kids come home. Kelly couldn't make it this time, but we still love her.  I think it was a good time.  We all piled into the car and went to his and Luke's game afterwards.  That was fun too.  Unfortunately they didn't win, but both boys played hard and Charity was there cheering them on!!  We love that!  1-11-24

TOYS AT SCHOOL
Molly stressed quite a bit as she tried to come up with a toy/game to take to school.  She couldn't bring electronics or anything with little pieces, so none of her Christmas gifts met the requirements.  She ended up settling on taking my fuzzies game and then they never even got it out.  Kind of disappointing for her, but I think she lived.  Jack also had a chance to bring whatever he wanted.  It was an anything goes day and I saw what some of the kids were taking- wearing pjs, a blanket, phones... Jack brought his Trader Joes knock off takis.  HA!  I asked him if he wanted to take something else, a toy or a phone and his response was, "I'm good." and reminded me that everyone else would be bringing things to do so he would just play with them.  Funny kid.  I like the minimalist style though, I'm good.  1-12-24

KIWICO
Molly got her first official box for her Kiwico subscription.  I was excited for her and she ended up painting and perfecting her little mini corkboard all afternoon.  It was the perfect outlet to her disappointing day at school.  Fun stuff.  1-12-24

NOAH'S FRIEND PARTY
Noah got to have his three friends (Zach, Blake and Nate) over for an hour-ish eating pizza and snacks before Nate took them all to a Jazz game!  This sounded like a lot of fun, I'm glad they had such a good time.  1-12-24

FRIDAY NIGHT- NO DATE
I didn't get my date this week, but I did get to hang out with all the cool kids.  Kelly had the idea of going over to the new little chocolate store and so we did that, got some chocolates while Sadie began the innocent begging for ice cream.  I think she could feel the ice cream shop close by so she had developed this undying NEED for it.  It was very innocent at first and she looked so adorable in her little sweats and boots standing directly in front of me, looking up with her sweet little face and saying, "Can Kelly take me to get some ice cream?"  So innocently.  It was only a matter of minutes before that innocent little request turned into a huge, knock down, blow out tantrum!  She went all out!!  Screaming, then kicking when I picked her up.  Kicked everything in her path as I put her in the car, including Molly's face.  Then she proceeded to scream at the top of her lungs as I loaded her into the car and tried to keep my cool while wrestling her into her car seat.  If anyone walked by at the moment, we definitely looked like I was kidnapping someone.  So sad.  She was very angry.  She screamed for another few seconds as we started to drive off, but then calmed herself down quite a bit- enough to say she was sorry.  Kinda cute.  The calming influence of being strapped into your seat.  She is usually pretty quick to repent in most cases, this seemed really fast.  We were able to talk about it a little and then moved on.  She did not get her ice cream.  I didn't mention that earlier on in the innocent asking I had considered getting courtesy cones, but that idea vanished with the first yell as we walked the wrong direction from the ice cream place.  This girl really just knows her location/directions too well.  That's her problem.  Too bad.  We will have to go there again sometime.  Not when I'm freezing cold though!!  And the chocolate shop was ADORABLE!!  Very fun to try it out and the chocolates were yummy!  We came home to play Tacos vs. Burritos with Kelly, Erika, Molly and I and then Kelly went and got Devan for the Jazz game watching the rest of the evening.  Kelly was nice enough to equip the kids with her laptop and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  The one we watched when the big kids were little.  We're excited to go see the new one with them.  Anyway.  Good times overall.  1-12-24

JACK FIRST TIME AT THE TEMPLE
Nate and I got to take Jack to the temple for his first time this Saturday.  We miraculously were able to get an appointment that day because Jack wasn't wanting to go the day before.  It was such a blessing.  When we got there, the temple was totally packed.  We had to wait a little while, but it was find with all of us.  Jack was perfectly fine waiting.  When we got in they let me do the family names Erika printed off for me, and so we all got to be in the font together and spend that time together.  I was so happy about that.  Jack felt so special.  It was fun to talk to him and hear his thoughts about it all.  Very cool kid.  Nervous, but totally on board with the new adventure.  I loved being there with him.  We stopped at Taco Bell on our way home for some tacos :).  1-13-24

JACK'S FIRST TIME PASSING THE SACRAMENT
Jack was so cute to invite Kelly and Charity to our ward for his first time passing.  I love that they made that a priority for him.  They brought their guys with them, which was fun too.  It's cool to have a full row again.  Jack did a great job- looked like a pro out there!  I was so proud of him.  1-14-24

FAMILY MEETING
Weather was such that I was glad Kelly and Devan headed back to Ephraim at a better hour, but we did miss them at the family meeting.  Charity and Hunter were there with us which was fun.  We all had a good time.  1-14-24


MARTIN LUTHER KING JR
I cannot for the life of me remember what we did this day.  Must have just lazied aaround because I have no pictures and no recollection of anything.  Maybe I'll ask around.  This brain.  1-15-24

CALL FROM BRADLEY
We did get to talk to Brad this day.  That was a huge relief.  He still sounds like he's needing a change and some kind of reset, but he tries to be positive.  Only one more week.  Everyone got a chance to talk to him for a minute or two.  1-15-24

HALLIE
Poor little Hallie joined the angels today.  This was such a sad day.  Erika came out from her room, sobbing, worried about Hallie.  She was not acting like herself and was just laying in her box.  We  started researching a lot of her symptoms and found some ideas, like a heating pad and keeping her warm. We did our best to make her comfortable.  I couldn't shake the feeling that she had a tumor, she had several bulges and a hard lump in her belly.  Some clear liquid had come out of the one by her tail.  She was not doing well.  We asked everyone to pray for her, but ultimately, we seemed like we were making some progress, so I took Erika to school.  She had missed most of first period, but trusted me with Hallie.  When I got back from taking Erika, I was holding Hallie and trying to get her some water and she had looked up at me like she was more awake and looked like she was going to start acting normal and then minutes later, she was gone.  She passed away in my arms, on the heating pad.  It was so sad.  I tried rubbing her and reviving her the best that I knew how, but she was gone.  It broke my heart.  I knew I was going to have to tell Erika.  I didn't want to wait so I went and checked her out and brought her home to break the news.  It was so devastating.  She cried for quite a while.  She did end up going back and she had her very first basketball game right after school, so we knew she needed to shake the sadness off, but it really was so hard.  Poor girl.  We will miss Hallie.  We kept talking about the fun we had with her, how cute she was, her long little legs when she would run across the front lawn- so cute!!  She was a sweet pet and more importantly, Erika loved her, so it was a very sad day.  But we know she is in a safe place, probably a better place.  Hopefully, Erika gets to see her again someday.  1-16-24

ERIKA'S FIRST KJH BASKETBALL GAME OF THE SEASON
I was so glad we went early to this game!  Erika got to play on the varsity game quite a bit!!  She did awesome!!  The JV game was even more exciting- Erika shot an amazing three pointer!  It was so cool!!  We had a big cheering section for Erika, the boys came, and Jack, Molly and Sadie.  Grandma Hatch and Simon were there.  It was so much fun!  It's going to be a great season!!  1-16-24

NATE'S FOOT
Somehow Nate hurt his foot.  He has no idea how.  I keep telling him to go have it seen, but he doesn't want to.  He had to miss Young mens and Noah reffed the yw basketball for him, hopefully he is right and it heals on its own.  1-17-24--1-20-24

LUNCH WITH PAPPY
We had our usual at Olive Garden Thursday.  It was another good lunch.  Sadie did awesome.  I am so glad we are doing this regularly.  1-18-24

BASKETBALL
Our basketball season is in full swing with Luke and Noah on a rec team with Nate, Noah on a rec team with his friends, Erika on a rec team, KJH and our young women basketball games, and then Jack on a rec team!  We spend a LOT of time watching basketball.  Kinda nuts really.  But we've got a lot of good teams this year!!  So much fun!!  1-18-24

CLEANING OUT THE CAR
I had this crazy urge to clean out the car.  It had gotten really bad and I knew it was going to require a trip to the vacuums.  It wasn't the most convenient day to do it, Nate's foot was still hurting and he had meals to prepare, but I could not shake this need.  So I took the van and cleaned it out.  Took me a good hour.  I wasn't sure why it needed to be cleaned out until the next day.  1-29-24

DATE NIGHT
We went to Tucanos for our date night.  So yummy.  Fit right in with Nate's carnivore diet.  1-19-24

FAMILY BAPTISMS
We were able to take Luke, Noah, Erika and Jack to the temple to do baptisms this Saturday.  This was a really neat trip as well.  It was Noah's firsts time baptizing.  It was super cool that there were tons of people there without baptizers, so the boys ended up doing a LOT of baptizing!  Then Noah got to baptize Luke and Jack also.  Pretty cool stuff!  I got to be the witness with Nate for a lot of it.  So fun!!  So cool!  I love that we did this.  We need to do it more often.  1-20-24

PICTURES AND DRIVING FOR THE JANUARY JAMMIE JAM
I was planning on taking pictures for Noah's dance group, Saturday, but then they surprised me with the opportunity to drive them all night as well :).  Nate had changed his mind about driving everyone before his six months.  So I got to!  And what a blessing I had already vacuumed out the car the day before!  The car looked great!  We went up to their sledding spot, up on the mountain and by the time we got there the sun was all but set.  We got a couple with a sliver of light still shining, but the rest it was pitch dark!   So crazy.  They actually turned out okay though!  I was surprised.  I think they all had fun.  Luke got to hang out with Raegan that night.  They both didn't go to the dance.  1-20-24

SUNDAY SCHOOL
This was our second Sunday with our new class.  New people in our class.  It went pretty well, I thought.  Nate was in there, observing.  The kids all participated and contributed questions and experiences.  It was nice!!  I was so happy with how it went.  Minus that I was afraid I offended the new girl.  I don't know though.  1-21-24

LUKE'S PATRIARCHAL BLESSING
This was so neat!!  I really loved hearing Luke's blessing and being there to hear all that Heavenly Father wants for him and how much He loves Luke.  I loved that Patriarch Huls pointed out that one of the purposes of a Patriarchal blessing is to hear Heavenly Father's love for you.  So cool!  It strengthens my testimony of the Priesthood so much to hear things that most people wouldn't know about Luke.  I am excited to see what Luke does with all of his gifts and blessings and the life he chooses.  Especially his wife- she sounds amazing!!  Can't wait!!  1-21-24

LUNCH WITH MOM- NOT
Sadie and I tried to meet up with grandma at Everbowl to have lunch, but as soon as we had ordered, we got a call from Jack, that he was sick at school.  I needed to go pick him up, so we hurried out of there and headed home.  Sure enough, Jack threw up when we got home.  Poor little guy!!  Not feeling great.  Lunch was good, but not how we had planned.  Luckily Jack was not sick for too long.  We just kept him home one more day for good measure.  1-22-24

CALL FROM BRADLEY
We didn't get much time this week.  But we are all very anxious to hear about transfers tomorrow!  Brad is hopeful!  1-22-24

QUICK EMAIL- ELDER BRADLEY MAYNES
Hey guys I love you all and want to hear how you're doing. This week was pretty crazy but I don't have much time so I will give you guys a good email next week. We got this family that has been being taught by missionaries for 2 years but hasnt gone to church in those 2 years to finally come to church so that was sick. We have transfers this week too so ill ley you all know what happens. Have a good weekkkk  1-22-24

HEIDI TO THE ER
I got a text from Heidi needing a ride to the ER and someone to watch Alyssa.  I went and picked her and Alyssa up, drove Heidi up to Davis hospital, dropped her off and then came home to play.  Sadie and Alyssa played so well together all day.  After I dropped off the food for the teachers, I went and picked up Heidi.

TEACHER DINNER
I got Coasta Vida this time, for the teachers.  It didn't feel creative, but I couldn't think of anything else.  Julia was worried that the salad wasn't going to go far enough.  Then she offered food to everyone else in the building.  Kinda nuts.  It went well though.  Thankfully Nate was able to go clean it up for me.  1-24-24

PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES
So I did the unthinkable and scheduled Molly's on Wednesday instead of Thursday like I'd thought.  So we missed hers.  Luckily Mrs. Lindsey let us come Thursday before Jack's.  Molly is doing great!!  SO high on all of her testing and such a great reader and friend to her classmates.  Mrs. Lindsey just loves Molly- it's super cute.  Fun to hear all about all that she is doing.  
Then we had Jack's.  He is doing well also!  I've been really impressed with his improvement and that he is doing so well socially.  He is setting some goals to work on typing and getting his assignments turned in.  But overall- doing great!!  
They both got to pick out a book from the book fair!  Fun stuff.  1-25-24

LUKE SICK
It was Luke's turn to get sick I guess.  He had it from Thursday to Friday.  Kind of a bummer.  Still hung out with his friends that night though.  1-25-24--1-26-24

DATE NIGHT
We went to Red Robin and then to see the movie Boys in the Boat.  Both were great!  Nate went on and on about his food that night- really loved it!  I think he got the surf and turf.  It was really yummy.  And not too long of a wait.  The movie was great as well!  I love the feel good underdog takes all movies.  So cool.  The kids need to see this one.  1-26-24

SADIE SICK
Sadie came up to our room in the night and I let her lay down next to me.  Minutes later, she was throwing up all over the place!  All over me, our bed, our floor, the bathroom.  It was crazy.  We got most of it cleaned up and she seemed done for the night, so I went and laid in her bed with her to get her back to sleep.  Well we did not really get back to sleep.  She proceeded to throw up about every 15 minutes ALL. NIGHT. LONG.  Didn't let up.  She was only throwing up stomach bile after like the third time, so I don't know how she kept going.  It was so sad!  She made it to the bathroom most of the times, which was good, but so crazy!  I was exhausted the next day.  We bummed around quite a bit.  Had to miss our cookie making date with Grandma. 1-28-24--1-29-24

ELDER MAYNES' EMAIL- GRINGO POWER
Okok I apologize the past 2 weeks have been wilddd. And I also haven't been writing emails or Journaling because my mind has been so preoccupied on this new area we have. We had transfers and it was freaking amazing. My new comp is Elder Hoff and we both just wanna work this area so hard. We got sent to Moquegua to open an area that's been closed for over 5 years. The ward used to actually be 2 wards but after covid they closed the chapel they had and now they have to travel a little bit further to go to church so now 90% are inactive. There's almost 1000 members in the ward and we had under 100 show up to church and this ward has just been dying and hasn't had any solid leadership to help them. So me and my comp have developed a plan to get this ward moving and we strongly believe this area can become the highest baptizing and biggest ward in the mission we just have to work really hard. This Sunday we both gave talks and basically hyped up the ward so much and got them all excited for this new change. We talked about how we cant grow this ward and can't find the people that will listen, without them. Missionary work is changing from knocking doors and contacting in the street all day, to member work. The members all know people that will listen we just need their trust and their efforts. We then are meeting with every leader and teaching them how to teach members to find referrals and how to get the missionaries teaching them. Then we are going to cut the area into different areas and then assign the "power members" or the members willing to work that live in those areas to visit those families and get ministering going. Because the ministering they have right now is so hard because this place is HUGE hills and so much walking so they cant get over there. And then they teach them how to refer their family members and friends because most of these inactive families have been inactive for yearsss and all know people who are super elect they just need someone to reach out to them. We also are wanting to get a meeting with all the leaders and we will set baptism and inactive member goals with each different organization, and it's going to be a goal they make and they feel they can reach. We basically have decided try to set this area up as if it's a mission and run it like a mission. If every member and every organization can make goals and work individually but also at the same time together to grow the ward, everyone is going to start seeing growth and at the same time want to work harder when they see the fruits of their labors. I don't really know how to explain this very well but we are actually getting this going so well and have been working sooo hard. We've been trying to look outside the box and it's actually working so good right now. Like it's all we've been able to talk about because every meeting we have with leaders and members they get so on board and want to work with us. Basically we have another big meeting Wednesday with all the leaders to get this plan in place and to like actually start it. Anyways this was probably confusing for yall buttt we got these 2 people on date this week and they're actually super elect and then we also have another friend that came to church and he bore his testimony in elders quorum and it was actually so hype. But basically this transfer is going to be a lot of work and I'm so stoked. This week we have been focusing a lot on the sacrament because if we can understand the importance of the sacrament we would be running to church to take it. It truly is a blessing so I would like yall to study and ponder what the sacrament means to you. 

I also forgot to add me and my comp are basically without purse or script. We don't have a house and so we are trying to find members that will let us use a room in their house to live this transfer. And a place to eat or a pensionista. Right now we are living in a tiny little closet room in these other elders apartment. But it's way out of our area so it's a pain to walk a couple miles into our area every day. But also at the same time this is so exciting because we are like in the olden days. Anyways pray that we will find a house and food because we don't like our closet. We are doing very good otherwise though. 

1-29-24

PHONE CALL FROM BRADLEY
We got to talk to Bradley today!  Super short, but it was so good to talk to him.  He is working so hard!  He doesn't have a place to live, he's in a "closet" of some other elders, but he's so happy!  Seems to be really excited about reactivating this ward he's with.  So good!  We loved seeing him happy!  1-29-24

FHE
Jack taught us about Nephi and Lehi tonight.  Great job!  We had Oreos for my treat and watched the Jazz game for the activity.  1-29-24

JACK PHYSICAL
Jack needed his 7th grade shots so we went for a well check.  Went pretty good.  It's cool that he is exactly average on everything.  Didn't shed a tear for the shots!  Good job Jack!  1-31-24
















No comments: