The introduction of solid food. Such an interesting stage of life. The "rules" for when to start have changed with all of my kids (or our different pediatricians' interpretations of the rules were different anyway). This time, with Erika, Dr. Fruin said to start her anytime around 4-6 months of age. (funny too because the paper she gave me said "not to introduce solids until 6 months", but whatever) But then she added that I could start her "when she seemed ready". I've seen "ready" before. And Erika..... well, she was REAAAAAADY! For the last week or so I've been kind of putting it off (I hate starting too soon, it just bumbs me out) and frankly after about the first week or so, the fun-ness of it being something new has completely worn off and it's just a big mess (as much as I hate to admit it, the solid-food-feeding-before-they-learn-to-feed-themselves stage, is not my favorite stage. I've been known to say that I hate it, but "hate" sounds like such a strong word right now. It's just so time consuming and messy!- love my kids- hate sitting there shoving mush in their mouths only to have it come back out and then have to clean it all up- please don't think less of me)
WELL! This morning, as I was holding Erika in one hand and putting a small cookie in my mouth with the other, rather than just reaching for the cookie like she has been doing lately, she completely DOVE IN for it, while letting out this really high-pitched screech!!! And THEN, this is the crazy part, she CRIED when I popped it into my mouth! She is not even 5 months old yet!!!!
She really has been SO into food. At mealtime she just sits there and gawks at all the food on the table and everyone stuffing their faces. She almost looks jealous. And she grabs at everything and watches every bite of the person who's holding her..... she's just been really ready to move onto that stage. I couldn't help but laugh about the cookie thing, but never in a million years would I have thought a baby this young could be THAT ready. And just as a side note (I know I've said this before, but) this little girl is growing up WAY TOO FAST!!! Faster than normal! Reminds me of how Charity was, maybe it's just a girl thing (although, I don't think Kelly was like this.... she was actually very comfortable being a BABY... hmmmmm)... so anyway. I realized that I was not doing much of anything else and I was just getting ready to sit down and nurse her so I decided to just give in and make her some rice cereal. Rice cereal has been NOBODY'S favorite in our house, but for some reason I feel the need to follow the advice to start with that even if I know they most likely won't like it. Luke was the only one who really did okay with it. And I think that was because I mixed it with juice (we were on WIC, it was all free to me- he kind of HAD to like it). But none of my kids have been that thrilled with it. UNTIL NOW!! Erika ate it up!! I've never seen a kid so anxious to get that disgusting stuff in her mouth! She was practically shaking with excitement. Reaching for my hand to help guide it in! She was all for something new- apparently it didn't matter what! She ate quite a bit of it too. I did have to rescoop a few times, because her tongue had pushed it out, but it wasn't the same pushing it out all the other kids have done. She was wide-eyed, interested, rarely a grimace, and trying so hard to eat it the right way. I was in awe. This mom still hadn't seen it all!
I had Brad standing by taking pictures for me since I had wanted Nate to enjoy it, but I just didn't want to put it off any longer. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well she did! Granted she's only had one serving, I know I shouldn't get my hopes up or think this is how it will be, but for now, I'm impressed! I'm guessing (based on my track record) that I will get sick of it before she does.... and move on to the really yummy stuff, but until then!
2 comments:
HeHe! She is so cute! I'm with you, the "fun-ness" of feeding time definately wears off fast, even now with Sam being 9months we still don't feed him enough actual food cause of how much time it takes--bad I know! He had such a hard time with food. He wanted it but would gag on everything--he still does. Fun to see Erika loving the rice--that must mean she's ready if she can choke down that stuff:)
Funny -I've held off starting my kids with solids because I hate the messiness of first foods too. I did find a "cereal feeder" a long time ago that was kind of like a bottle with a bigger hole in the nipple. I think they may have stopped making them because doctors say your kids will overeat just because they like the soothing of sucking so much or they won't learn to eat from a spoon. But I disagree - smart parents just don't Keep filling it UP:)- and all of my kids can eat from a spoon too! It was especially helpful when we were traveling to just hand my little one a bottle of rice cereal or baby food and have them feed themselves without a mess.
Post a Comment