"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Journaling week of 12-8-13

THE HOLE
For the past month or so (not really sure when it started), I've been feeling really down.  I've had up days, or moments, but for the most part, I was what I would call slightly depressed.  It's been really annoying.  I think it was partially because of this talk I've been focusing on that I have to give a lesson on in a few weeks.  The sad thing is it's a very optimistic, hope-filled talk, so I don't know why I was letting it make me down.  Yesterday I had an epiphany.  I wrote a few things down in my lesson planning notebook, looked up few scriptures and had a lot of inspirational thoughts running through my head.  It was awesome!  I felt like someone was reaching down to me in the hole I had found myself in and was reaching down to pull me up.  It feels SO FANTASTIC!!  I feel like a different person today!  I love it!!  Feeling motivated sure feels a lot better than not.  Ahhhhh.  12-9-13

THE PREMIERE
A couple of weeks ago Nate bought some fundraiser tickets from a couple kids in his Sunday School Class for a "Premiere showing of Hobbit Part II".  Last night was the big night!  I personally dislike the Hobbit.  It's like a swear word in my mind because of the many times I TRIED to read that dang book back in Middle School, but couldn't ever get past the first chapter (paying attention that is- we read it as a class one year, but it still never registered).  It really isn't my favorite book/movie/whatever.  BUT!  That being said.  I did have a GREAT time and LOVED the second Hobbit!  It was intense.  I do, however, wish they had ended the story!!!  Oh well.  Good date night with my honey and half of the ward :).  12-11-13

THE HOLE
So today I feel like I am back in the hole.  Yes, it's been three days.  A huge bummer.  I blame it mostly on my period, and hopefully it's nothing permanent (the lack of motivation and downer feelings, not the period, THAT better not be permanent and if it ever was, I think I'd have to request a ticket out of here).  I knew coming out of it wasn't a guarantee, but I just ache for the same feelings I had on Monday.  I can't get them here!  I'm going to keep working on it though.  I can't give up!  12-12-13

ACTIVITY DAYS
One of the benefits of having a humongous car is that I get asked to help drive for activities and things for my kids.  On Friday I got to accompany Charity and Kelly and their activity day girls to the Apple Tree Rest Home.  The girls did a short little Christmas Program for the elderly people.  I had a blast!!  First of all, I love seeing my girls in their element.  They own the place!  I love that they had been asked to sing a duet together and didn't even mention it to me, it was a complete surprise!  They did such a great job too!  I can't believe the courage these kids have.  Makes me proud of them, and jealous at the same time.  I wish I still had the courage to do the things they do.  They did great!  I had a good time watching them, and I had a good time being in the rest home.  As you know, I LOOOOOOOVE old people!  They are almost as wonderful as babies in my mind :).  Babies and toddlers and old people.  Can't get enough of them.  Right as we got there, one of the residents called out to me, patting her hand on the seat next to her on the couch, saying, "Come sit over here!"  So I did.  She was the sweetest lady!!  I asked her name, she told me (forgot it), then we proceeded to talk about everything under the sun.  She was so thrilled by the girls' singing and kept asking me how long the singing group had been together and which girls were mine, etc.  It was so cute.  Then we began talking about her life.  She told me that her husband had died 4 years ago.  She got really solemn and quiet as she told me the story of their last day together.  She said he had been working really hard that day.  She called him in to be done and get some rest while she cooked dinner.  They ate dinner.  She then told him to go rest in the living room while she cleaned up dinner.  He said he would rather go and take a shower, so he did that.  When he got done, she thought a shower sounded nice too, so she decided to go take one herself.  When she got out of the shower, she came into the bedroom and he was already in bed.  She lifted up the sheets to get in bed and he asked her what she was doing.  She told him she was going to go to bed with him and he said, that was fine, but he wanted to come around to his side first.  So she did.  He asked her to kneel down so that he could give her a hug.  He told her how much he loved her and was grateful she was his wife, gave her a hug and then she got in bed and they went to sleep.  In the morning, he was gone.  He had died in his sleep after telling his wife, in a very sweet way that he loved her.  How touching is that!  I just about cried hearing the story.  I can't imagine what that must be like.  She sure misses him too.  She spoke so sweetly of him.  Although I did think it was funny she couldn't remember her anniversary and how long she had been married :).  I so can't wait to get old :).  She said 30 years, but I'm guessing it was much longer than that.  She had grown up in Kaysville and lived there all her life.  She had given birth to four kids, but the first had died before her first birthday due to complications.  This woman much just be amazing.  And she was so friendly and upbeat!  I loved her blanket and complimented her on it, and she said that her daughter had made it for her so that she could cover her knees so that she wouldn't get sick.  She unwrapped the leg that was close to me, and threw the end of her blanket over my knees since they felt cold to her :).  Sweet huh!  I missed my rest home days for a minute there.  Sometimes they can be so sweet.  This rest home was of course not like the one I worked at, these people were definitely a lot more with it than the ones at Crestview.  It was a really pleasant experience, I hope that I can take our family up there someday soon here.  I can just imagine the smiles on their faces to see so many sweet little kids!!  I just love it!!
I think my girls loved it too- they were happy to go around and hug everyone when they finished :).  I'm glad they're not too scared.  I always worry about that since they haven't had too much experience with the elderly.  12-13-13

WARD BREAKFAST
We had our Christmas Ward Breakfast today!  It was SO much fun!  I just can't get enough of this ward!  Everyone is just so amazing!  I keep waiting for the honeymoon phase to wear off, and for them to stop being so nice to us, but they haven't!  It's been lovely.  We feel right at home.  This was a fun activity.  Sticky papers at the tables to write letters to missionaries, COLD CEREAL for the kids!! (I think all of my kids went back for thirds and fourths! and now Noah knows what Froot Loops are- yes, I do feel like a failure), the Bishop dressed up in some cute striped jammies and read the Christmas story to the kids, we sang carols, got candy canes!  It was so much fun!!  The food was great too!  I just loved it.  12-14-13

BIG FAMILIES
A sweet lady at Michael's today stopped me to tell me that she just loves seeing big families now days!  (I had ALL of my kids with me)  Made my day!  And then the lady in front of us at the checkout at Walmart (third store for all 8 of us!) made it again when she said she didn't mind having to hear Erika's tantrum and huge fit while she checked out.  Thank you wonderful people!!!  Tender mercies my friends!  Love that.  12-14-13

No comments: