"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Journaling Week of 8-18-13

HEIDI AND THE MAKEOVERS
Heidi and John came Sunday evening to give us all makeovers (my second, but first for the girls).  It was SO much fun!  I loved watching the girls with Heidi.  I really like how she makes me look, just wish it didn't take so long.  Then I would think it was a realistic addition to my morning routine.  Fun though.  They stayed for dinner and lots of card games!  Fun stuff.  8-18-13

LAVA HOT SPRINGS
We had the privilege of meeting up with Rob and Heather and their family up in Idaho.  We left on Wednesday, just after Nate got home from the mid shift and had slept a little.  We were dragging a little bit, as we packed up the car to go and consequently forgot a bunch of stuff that I wished I hadn't.  But we made our way up to Big Springs Campground pretty quickly.  It was funny how far away from Lava we actually were.  I had not been the one to choose the campground, so it was a big surprise when we got there.  There were no people for miles!!  We followed this dirt road with a few signs here and there to direct us, saw a cool hawk and some wild turkeys, but no human beings in sight!!  It was so funny!  Several times we thought that maybe we had taken a wrong turn somewhere, but luckily we pressed on.  Rob and Heather and their kids didn't come up til the next day, and that was when all the fun began!  I don't think we'll ever forget that campout!
Some of the things we want to remember about this campout:
- The locked bathrooms for the first night and having to walk a quarter of a mile to the nearest one.
- The diaper in the fire pit :)
- The moist air (after supposed rain) that got everything wet as we unloaded and set up camp.
- The creek!
- Building the dam
- The Springs.  Everyone taking a turn being brave enough to dunk themselves in the freezing cold water--- hot springs nothin!
- The "hike" :).
- Spud
- Spud Set Me Up
- Late nights talking with Heather and Rob, and then Heather and Hannah the night that Rob wasn't there.
- THE RAIN!!!
- Nate building a fire in the rain!!  He's so amazing!
- The miraculously dry sleeping bags in the puddles in our tent!  That was awesome.
- Hannah and Erika bonding time.
- Bradley and the fire.  I loved seeing him put it all together and then using all the many methods available to light it!  He's so cool!
- Luke and Noah helping Bradley build his fire.  I love that they were all working together.
- The kids coming back from their hunt for firewood with a TREE!!  Luckily the one they chopped down was already dead.
- Hot chocolate- THANKS HEATHER!
- Biscuit-on-a-stick
- The "Crab Spider"  That was so funny because I said, "It looks like a crab!"  And Noah said, "That's because it's a CRAB SPIDER!"  As if he really knew!  Course I think he was right.
- Isaac singing the Bazooka song!  I'll never forget his dance moves!  Pictures to come :)
- The BAZOOKA SONG!! 
- Hermie the Wormie song
- Me burning my foot on the cement around the fire... and the blisters that followed... holy moly.
- Jack playing in the dirt.  For some reason he liked this campout better than the last.  I'm pretty sure it was the dirt.  He got so dirty!
- Erika and her slivers.  That poor girl just wouldn't put her shoes on!  They were even new!
- Noah and the hammer :). 
- All the boys with the hatchet, chopping the stumps, amazingly no one was injured!
- Our awesome dutch oven meals!  We rock.
- Luke having a good time!!  I loved watching him jump from rock to rock like a wannabe ninja warrior! 
- Erika telling me that she doesn't want to hold my hand while she goes to the bathroom even though Kelly said she has to :).  Kelly was worried about her falling in the hole :).  Love that girl.
- Kelly and the dirt.  She was so patient with the texture of this campground.  I hardly heard her complain at all.  Although, I would have to give her the clean hands award.  She kept them pristine!  Even her nails!  It was very impressive.
- Charity following her older cousin around, listening to every high school and girls camp story and song.  She is EXTREMELY excited to go to girls camp now!  What a great example Hannah is!
- The boys all climbing up into the pine tree. 
- All that candy and snacks!  We let the kids all pick their own snacks for this campout.  Not sure how much I liked that idea, but it worked.
- Loading up all the wet gear!  UGH!  And having to air it all out to dry when we got home... not my favorite part about camping.
- The Socks!!!  EVERYWHERE!
- Everyone sitting around carving walking sticks :).  They all came home with us believe it or not!
- Wondering where Nate was only to have him show up with a couple fish!
- Yummy fish.

I'll add more when I can get everyone else's ideas.
We came home Saturday just in time for Nate to be off to work.  That was a bummer.  But a really fun way to end our summer!  It's officially over.

No comments: