"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Sunday

Sunday had an interesting morning. It was Stake Conference, so we were trying to get ready faster than usual. We were so good!! We were all ready to go and loaded in the car by about 9:30. We had wanted to get there early enough so that we could sit where we wanted :). And we do have to go all the way to the "Turtle building" for conference. So anyway. We were all buckled in, ready to go, and what do you know, the car wouldn't start! So annoying since just Monday we had had the same problem and bought a new battery on Tuesday. So we opened up the hood (it had actually been smoking a little when Nate would turn the key, right by the battery, so we were sure it was something with the battery), and Nate started fiddling. I just kind of sat around trying to talk myself out of just wanting to stay home and tried to think of some other solutions assuming Nate would not be able to fix the car. We woke up Steve thinking he could jump us, or drive us (it would take a couple trips) and got to joke around with him for a while. It was one of those times where you feel frustrated, but you're trying to just deal with what comes. I think we handled it well. So around 10:00, Nate had it! He had totally fixed the problem and the car started!!! I was so happy, and so impressed!! He's really good at figuring things out for someone who doesn't know much about cars. Makes me proud. Apparently the wires connecting the battery were not flesh with the terminal and were kind of exposed..... who knew (since the car had been running just fine for almost a week). So anyway, we left to go to Conference and we were about 15 minutes late which really stunk considering how early we had gotten ready. I just hate the thought of being late when it wasn't our fault. But then you have to look at it positively and realize that we would have missed half of conference if we hadn't been ready early.... so either way. Conference was really nice, but I have to admit I had a really hard time concentrating simply because of the heat! I was SWEATING the whole time. The kids did well. They were in and out to the bathroom and drinking fountains for the first half, but sat mostly still the rest of the time. Which was nice considering I didn't need any more beads of sweat dripping down my face.

Luke and I had a moment that I wanted to record. I was trying to find ways to entertain him and started folding a fan. He thought it was an airplane so was disappointed and asked for a plane when I was done. I consented but halfway through folding it I realized that I was making him a paper airplane! duh. So I decided to continue, but explained to him that he could not throw the airplane until we were outside. I showed him what he could do with it, but kept repeating that I did not want him to throw it. It was risky, believe me I know, but I thought it would be a great teaching experience for Luke either way. There were only about 15 minutes leftover, so I thought it might be possible for him to keep it to himself. He started asking me what would happen if he threw it and I said that if he threw it, it would get lost and he wouldn't have one anymore. Then he asked about if he were to throw it up in the ceiling. I told him it would get stuck up there too.... He was testing the water a little but not once did he throw that paper airplane. I have to say that I was almost in tears when we were done because he had actually done what I asked (you can see how unlikely this normally is and if you know Luke....). It was amazing!!! So when we walked out of the door I announced to him that he had done it and listened and we clapped and then he got to throw the thing around a little before we went to the car. It was cute to watch him enjoy the airplane, and it seemed like he realized how cool it was that he listened. It made flying that airplane so much cooler :) I kept telling him how good he did the whole rest of the day, just to reaffirm in his mind that what he had done was right. I know this must sound weird to all of you, but it was special for me!! And such a huge thing for Luke.

So when we got home Nate and I were talking about how glad we were that he tried to fix the car rather than just calling it quits and going back to bed. We decided that Heavenly Father had given us that opportunity to show that we would put forth the effort and make going to conference a priority, and not give up. Kinda like how I gave Luke the opportunity to show me that he could make a good choice. Just a little analogy. I'm glad that we had that experience and that we were able to receive the blessings we did and go to conference. I know it's not life or death or anything, but it was special to me.

1 comment:

Lace said...

That was a cool analogy! I love that you guys find the deeper meaning in these kind of things!