We tried to keep ourselves busy the last week of Summer Break so that we could make sure we enjoyed it to the end, but for some reason I didn't take a whole lot of pictures of any of it :*( Oh well. These are the few that I did get.
Tuesday we took advantage of Two Buck Tuesday at Thanksgiving Point. Yes, it was VERY crowded, but we had a lot of fun anyway. If I've said it once I've said it a million times, my kids would be fine with just the water/sand thing and the digging for dinosaur bones. I don't think they care much about anything else there. At least that's what the constant "when are we going to dig for bones?" and "how much longer till the water and sand thing?" lead me to believe.
I only lost track of Lukey ONCE the whole time and that was only for a few minutes. This was nice.
Kelly was Noah's buddy for the trip, she took full advantage of that and buddied up with him the whole time. I was really grateful that she wanted to stick by him so much even in the sand pit. Big sisters are priceless in these kinds of places.
Charity had a bit of a hard time. She's in that stage where you're getting a little old to be playing with the baby stuff, but it's still fun. She got really frustrated with the fact that nobody thought she should have a brush. She was sweet to a lot of the little kids there though. Makes me proud of her. And just for the record, I am okay with her staying little and playing with the baby stuff.... it's everyone else that makes it seem otherwise.
Brad had a lot of fun. I don't think he was really into it this time though. I remember the last few times we were there him just being really fascinated with all the dinosaurs and asking lots of questions about them. He seemed disinterested this time. Actually for the last little while I've wondered if he wasn't just getting anxious for school to start. He's seemed preoccupied. But he's still so handsome :) look at him!
Erika did really well, just sat in the stroller thankfully. She got a little restless at the end and screamed on the way out which had to take a little longer since everyone needed drinks and potty breaks, but hey, I'll take the screaming just at the end any day.
Wednesday we went to Taffy Town and then played in the rain a little. Definitely turned out to be not as cool as I had wanted. The place is completely different. But they all loved picking out their favorite taffy flavors.
Thursday night Steve found these kittens at Walmart and Erika got to play with them a little. She squealed with excitement and wanted to touch them a lot. I thought it was adorable. We were letting the older kids sleep through this part because we thought they would be able to play with them in the morning, but no such luck. They were completely disappointed.
On Friday, we went with Sarah and Charlie to the Zoo. We had a good time, but something about the trip seemed not as enjoyable for some reason. I'm not sure what it was, could just be me. HOpefully everyone had a LITTLE fun. Could be that Noah was screaming for the last half of it, and it seemed like we did a lot more walking than we needed to in a lot hotter temps than we have been there in. But I always love chatting it up with Sarah. So that at least was right :) This picture is funny :) Cute Charlie is more interested in the Giraffe, Brad's ready to go home, Noah's crying some more. Fun stuff :)
So Friday night was our last minute camping trip! Boy did we ever have an adventure. (yeah that was sarcastic) It was kind of funny how much went "wrong" that night. Nate and I had originally thought of just going up Big or Little Cottonwood canyons, but then at the last minute Nate called Hobblecreek Canyon and found out that their campground was almost completely empty (this was Friday when he called) so we thought rather than take our chances with the Cottonwoods, we'd go down there. Well, after about 45 minutes of Salt Lake City rush hour traffic, we saw the sign that said there was a 3 hour delay going to Provo!!!! HOLY MOLY!!! Yeah, there's no chance that we wanted to sit in traffic for 3 hours, and that's assuming it ddidn't get any worse. We quickly decided to just get off the freeway and go up to Big Cottonwood canyon. Well, of course it was full and so was Little Cottonwood, and by the time we had scoured both of them it was almost 8:00. Nate and I were totally bummed. And not wanting to tell the kids the sad news. Charity had been getting nervous about whether we would find one too and had expressed some disappointment as well. So it was hard to tell the kids that we were just going to have to have our campout at home. Much to my surprise though, Kelly piped up with "REALLY?!!!!! WE GET TO CAMP AT HOME???!!!! That will be SO COOL!!!!" I couldn't believe it! Kelly had totally saved the day because they all jumped on her bandwagon and got excited as well. She even had several reasons why this would be "funner!" I seriously wanted to cry because I had been so sad about not going and then here is Kelly making the most of it. So awesome! I was so proud of my kids the whole time. Well, then there was a series of mini plans that kept falling through. Very discouraging. We thought we would find a picnic place where they let you do campfires and at least cook our food at one of those, but they were full and closed, then our idea to stop and get icees turned into going to a few different gas stations since the ones we tried were out! then when we got home to roast our marshmellows on the grill, the propane we had only lasted long enough to grill the hot dogs. It was funny almost by the end of it all. We were tired, but set up the tent in the kids' room, made some s'mores in the microwave, and let the kids goof around for an hour with the lantern on before making them go to sleep. That was our END OF THE SUMMER CAMPOUT! And just like Charity kept pointint out, all the surprises just made it that much more memorable. I'm so glad my kids have learned how to deal with disappointment. They're amazing. If only we could teach Nate and I how to deal with it so well cuz I'm still feeling a little bit jipped :). 
We did see this cool moose in Alta. Took us back to our fun times in Alaska. Meese are just cool.
Check out this drool!!!
Noah liked watching his shoes light up in the dark :) Cute boy.
And now it's time for school to start!
No comments:
Post a Comment