- Favorite thing in Grandma's journal tonight "No more pain in my side. Guess it figured I was too busy and left. Thank goodness." Is that not adorable!
- Ran my errands with only 3 kids on Tuesday (8-30-10). Grocery shopping was like a dream with two kids in the cart and only one to keep track of.... if only I could talk Noah into sitting in the cart..... better luck next time. Still though, I don't want to press my luck. It beats having 4 little ones swarming around me, getting in people's way, pretending to be horses, galloping through the aisles (sure, it makes me smile now while I'm typing it :) but it's more of a pain when I'm in the moment :)). Actually, I love that whole scene, it's everyone ELSE'S reactions that I dislike. It was a good trip to the store, very uneventful, and everyone had to have a little treat for some sugary, positive reinforcement :)
- Wednesday I went to the Care Center to do Relief Society. What a neat experience! I never thought I'd EVER say this, but it made me miss my CNA job at Crestview Care Center. It's a much different place when you know the residents and their backgrounds, their "stories", but old people are just amazing. I met a lady named Esther. She was a sweetheart and apparently somewhat new. She took a while to finish her breakfast before we could take her. She sat and talked to us while we waited. She told us that she wanted to teach us something and proceeded to tell us how there are no mirrors in the place. The only one she's ever seen is the one in the shower room and you don't get to go in there on your own. So one day, she was getting discouraged with not being able to see how she looked, and she said a prayer. She said that immediately following her prayer, she looked down and saw her spoon sitting right there in front of her and realized that she could see herself in the back of the spoon. Then she proceeded to tell us how sometimes what we're looking for is right under our noses. Cute huh!!!! She was a sweetheart. When she found out I have 6 kids she insisted that I take home one of her many packages of Peeps to them. She made me promise that I would eat them the Auntie Esther way. When her neices and nephews were young she would always pull the eyes off the peeps before eating them. It took a while but finally someone asked her why she did that and she told them, "I don't want them to see what's going to happen next!" And then it just stuck, they all started doing it like Auntie Esther. SO CUTE! She was the third child of 6, she has never been married and never had children. Her Father was a "Joseph Smith" and she was actually a decendant of Hyrum Smith (Joseph Smith's brother). Kinda cool. She was in the Care Center because she had slipped on some water that someone had tracked onto her kitchen floor, and fell, then laid there for FOUR DAYS!!!! She could hear the mailman come, the newspaper come, they all stacked up, and the mailman actually hooked a plastic bag onto her mailbox because it was too full to put more in..... it wasn't until her neighbor got suspicious and called the police before she was discovered. Isn't that awful!!! She broke her ankle and then suffered some blindness and paralysis on one side. I still can't believe it and wonder if it wasn't embelished a little :) sometimes old peopled do that, but wow! I really would like to take my kids over there to meet her. She would be a fun old person for them to experience :) I do feel kinda bad that my kids haven't had the exposure to the Rest Home scene that I did as a kid. Kids just aren't as welcome in those places anymore. I'm going to have to fix that.
No comments:
Post a Comment