After winning the first two Hoop Shoot contests Charity moved on to this one, in Tooele, last Saturday on January 22nd. I really just can't express how proud I am of her! And her willingness to win! She really practices hard and tries her best. I'm surprised at how nervous she gets, but at the same time, I'm not. I'm actually a nervous wreck the entire time as well. I couldn't believe how pail she started to look while she was practicing. I started to worry about her a lot. She really looked like she was going to vomit or pass out or something! She really seemed like she was struggling during the practice at the beginning. I wasn't sure she was going to make it!
I kept looking at her next to those big tall girls and thinking just how small (and young- sorry Chars, but you are) she really is!! This picture especially! She just looks so innocent and sweet and little. Just as she is. It's hard for me to think about all that she's done in her short little life and all that she has ahead without being proud. She really is an amazing little girl. And so full of life and ambition. To think that she just randomly decided to sign up for this "hoop shoot at school" completely on her own and pulled off two other wins all by herself!!! just blows me away. She really is going to go places and do some really cool things, I can feel it. And more than she already has :) I hope she realizes how amazing she is.
Here she is all ready to go!! She was up against 3 other girls this time, which is a lot compared to the ONE at the other two!! But she has a different technique than most of the girls there and she has it SO down that we just don't even worry about it :) She kept wondering how tall everyone was going to be and worrying that they were going to be way taller. I just had to keep telling her that height is not what matters what matters is SKILL!!! And she's got that, so no worries. Charity loves my pep talks.
SHe's so little!! She was so brave!! She got up there, first one to shoot! and blew us all away with 3 in a row!!!!! WOW!! What an amazing turn over from the few minutes prior when she was missing them all.... what a relief that was!!!! She did AMAZING during her five practice and then hit 6 of her first 10. We all couldn't have been more happy with that. Brad and Kelly were counting everyone else's turns and so were the people in front of me, but I didn't want to know who was winning, I wanted to have a happy smile on my face for Charity the ENTIRE time, not thinking about winning!!! thinking about having fun! She watched everyone go and miss a lot, got up and started sinking them again during her 15!!! She got 7 of those. SO AMAZING!!! After the fourth girl had missed a few of hers the people in front of me turned around and said, "SHE WON!!! Your daughter WON! Even if this girl gets the rest of hers, she still won't beat your daughter!!"
YAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think I almost cried. I couldn't believe it!!! She had completely blown them out of the water too, the second place girl only got 9 of her 25. And charity had 13. She did pretty good.
So after this one (just like the last) they had a little Luncheon, free food. Then while we were eating our pizza and salad, they had the trophy ceremony. This time the first and second placers got trophies and the third and fourth got medals. Her trophy this time was even nicer than the last one!!! She's very proud! So are the rest of us. What a cool thing for the Elks Club (gosh, I don't even think I mentioned who puts this on!!) to do for these kids!!! I don't ever remember having even an opportunity like this. They do it all for free, we have not paid a cent!! And I've heard that if she makes it to the Nationals (winning this next round) the competition could be out of state and they will pay your way and any hotel costs that you incur to compete. Pretty cool stuff. Oh, they also gave her a basketball. Says "Elks Hoop Shoot" on it!! Woo woo. I really just can't say enough about the whole thing. It's really been neat to be a part of it all. I'm proud of Charity and really grateful for the people who make it possible. Fun stuff, good memories, and great for her self esteem!
2 comments:
I'm so glad I get to read all these fun things you write! It makes me not be so sad to have my little guy go to school soon. It makes me excited to see them do amazing and exciting things! GOOD FOR YOU CHARITY!!
Way to go Charity!! That's awesome! It's so fun to watch you kids in things like this. :)
Post a Comment