"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Wednesday, August 2, 2017

DAY 5- San Diego- Harbor Tour, Mission Beach, Crickets and Bacon Chocolate

As we were driving to our harbor tour we drove right under a plane landing at the airport and it was SO CLOSE!!!  It was so cool!  Took me back to AK when we used to stand at the end of the runway and watch them take off!  So cool.  Kinda weird that they're below the buildings though- looks a little 9-11-ish.  
At the boat tour we looked over the edge of the ramp and saw these little rays (not sure if they're manta rays or sting rays?) swimming by!  SO COOL!  I had to get a picture.

The harbor tour was really cool.  I loved seeing all the Naval boats and bases!  




There's our boat!






went right past the USS Midway





The sky line

The bridge to Coronado.  I love the story about the guys that found Coronado and bought it for $110,000!!!!  Kinda cheap!  Then this bridge- I'm not sure why it was a requirement, but they had to make it two miles long so they curved it!  And used toll money to pay it off.  


This was the awesome Amphibious base!  The back opens like a clam shell letting in water then closes so that they can be used for training in controlled water.  HOW COOL IS THAT!! Then they let the water out when they need to travel.  So cool.  I love the Navy.  Not as much as the Coast Guard but love it!  And I did see some Coast Guard ships!


This hospital boat is awesome!  Has EVERYTHING a normal hospital has!



And look how cool this is!  The boat is fully exposed on a dry dock that we bought from China and had dragged over here.  Pretty sweet looking.





Wanted a picture of the Petco Stadium.  And we found out that dome shaped building isn't Megamind's lair after all- it's a LIBRARY!  We should have gone there- sounded really cool.


Molly did NOT LOVE the boat tour.  In fact she tried to make us all hate it during the last hour.  If only we'd brought the B!  Nate was so patient with her and basically missed out on the harbor tour because of her crying.  He loves me.












This would have been cooler to see the sea lions if we hadn't been playing with them on the beach two days before.






another dry dock- these are SO fascinating.  They lower down for a boat to drive in and then raise it up so they can be worked on and stuff.  So cool!


This was all we saw of the lighthouse


cool cemetery we'll have to visit next time we go.



Jack and I loved this tug boat.




lots of helicopters


lots of planes landing at the airport

We were ready for the tour to be over when it was :).  Molly helped with that.  We were craving beach so we drove to Chick-fil-a for our free sandwiches with our Padres tickets, and then found Mission Beach.  This beach had great reviews online, but I was slightly disappointed by it.  The kids didn't care, so we stayed.  It ended up being the perfect beach for Kelly with the grass that came way up to the beach- she and I spent the entire time sitting on the grass taking pictures and talking.  And it was a great place for Molly too with the little to no waves.  It was a little inlet that had boats and stuff parked in it.  It was a little cold that evening so we only stayed for a few hours, but it was a LOT of fun!  Plus Noah and Bradley spotted some rays!  Right where they were playing!  Pretty sweet!  We decided seeing all the animals in the wild was way cooler than seeing them in captivity.  


Me: Jack, wanna go get your swim suit on so you can go play in the water?
Jack: nah.




Molly loved the birds!  I felt kind of bad for them after a while.  She would take off after them the instant they touched down!













This is what Luke did the whole time :).






Nate was so good to play with Molly again.  They went on a long walk, looked for sea shells, bossed Nate around...






She was loving Noah's belly button for some reason, HA!










This is when she was totally eyeballing this kid's sand castle... there was definitely a pull!!  She resisted though, with Nate's help!  Luckily.







Jack showing me how wet his clothes were.












look how tiny the shells were on this beach!




















I just have to say- her teeth look REALLY straight already!  Is it really going to take another year to get those braces off?




Taking a much needed break from Princess Molly.



Keeping her away from sandcastles is a full-time job




Charity was soooo good to entertain Molly to keep her from smashing Luke's masterpiece.  

The beach got a little too cold and we were ready for dinner, so we headed out.  We had hot dogs for dinner.  This was when we noticed how much food we still had left and knew we needed to eat some of it :).  We pigged out a little.
We got home and showered and then Nate broke out the crickets!  This ended up being a LOT of fun!  I was surprised that they all did it (WE ALL) and that everyone enjoyed it so much!  We'll have to do something like this again.  I was switching from my phone, to my camera, switching from video to still picture, so I don't have camera pictures of everyone eating them.  And I missed video of some of them too.  But here's what I got ;).

Everyone waiting patiently for Nate to pick a number in his head- I can't believe this worked.  HAHAHAHA!

So Molly just wanted to eat them the minute Nate opened the box and I think she was technically first.  We hadn't started officially, but I'm pretty sure she ate the first one :).  

Bradley was official first!  He was tough, chewed it up and then commented on the wings! ULGH!  

I think Charity went second.  She was all drama :).  She was fun to watch!  She didn't love it and worried about the legs getting stuck in her braces.  

Kelly was third- she didn't want everyone telling her what to do and how to do it, so she did it her way.  Popped it in her mouth without looking at it.  Then brushed it off like they were chips.  

Erika was next!  She was a rock star!  She didn't even think twice and then blew it off like it was nothing!

Jack picked Nate's number and took off running into the other room and then Bradley went and got him and he came back with a smile, grabbed a cricket, and ate it!  Where is this when I'm trying to get people to eat dinner?!

Luke and Noah went at the same time.  This was funny and I"m glad I got it on video.  Luke was totally gagging and dry heaved a little when choking it down... it was hilarious!  Then he got accused of spitting it out!  Luckily I got it on tape.  Noah was a rock star too!  Just chewed it up and swallowed!  

By the end Molly had eaten a LOT of crickets.  She was eating them like crackers the whole time.  It was so funny!  

Nate gobbled his down real quick and then talked me into eating one.  Not my favorite.  I did like the bacon chocolate though!  Everyone washed theirs down with a starburst or bacon chocolate.





Noah's totally stressing in this shot :)


picking a number was super nerve-racking!




right before!


Who wants another one?!!




Erika going in for seconds!


Molly eating the rest HA!






Jack couldn't get enough of the replays :).


Nate took Charity and Brad out to get souvenirs- they'd put it off the whole time!  And brought home some yummy shrimp salad.  We found Ice Age on the TV and Jack giggled himself silly watching Scrat!  I forgot how funny that movie is.  Everyone was happy to settle down with that and fell asleep for our last night in San Diego. 

No comments: