"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Saturday, November 18, 2017

Things to Remember Week of 11-5-17

TESTIMONIES
Jack was so cute today in Sacrament meeting.  His little eyes lit up when he asked Nate, "Is it fast Sunday??"  This is a very exciting thing to him now that he's learned he can bear his testimony.  It's been a lot of fun to see him brave this.  He's so shy normally that it's almost shocking that he goes up there and says so many wonderful things.  Things that are actually his testimony.  I loved it.  My favorite part was when he said, "I know I need to be good to my family at church." and "I know that I need to choose the right."  So pertinent :).  Then Noah bore his testimony and did such a great job too.  I could listen to these kids bear testimony all day.  Charity was next- she talked about the talk I had told her about this morning!  She had taken it a step further though and learned something completely different than I'd intended on teaching.  Pretty cool experience to realize that Heavenly Father was using me in a way I didn't even know.  She's growing up so much!  It's fun to see them all growing and their testimonies are growing and they're recognizing the growth!  Bradley bore his as well and talked about prayer.  He was so sweet to share his experience with his race yesterday where he wanted to quit running on the last lap, but said a prayer and was able to push himself the rest of the race.  Pretty sweet.  I love these guys so much.  I wish I was brave enough to get up every fast Sunday.  11-5-17

NO NAP!!!
I did it!  I went a whole Sunday- Fasting no less!- without taking a nap!  And I survived!  It was actually really amazing, so if you're wondering why this is blog worthy- let me just say that for about a month now I've been trying to convince myself that I don't need a nap and tried motivating myself to do fun things with the kids instead and to be part of the home... well- I did it!  And I think I could do it again!  New routine here we come!  11-5-17

CHARITY REHEARSALS
Charity started her everyday rehearsals week.  It's been a doozie!!  She's worked so hard though and (hopefully, like she says she has) has kept up on her homework while attending rehearsal every evening from about 5:00-9:00, 10:00 some nights.  It's been nuts!  But we're all getting very anxious to see this play and all the beautiful fruits of their labor!  I know it's going to be good just based on the hours and hours they're putting into it.  So proud of her!  11-6-17

FHE
For Family night this week it was Jack's lesson.  He had us arm wrestle each other :).  It was so cute and so fun.  I loved that he thought of this idea.  Everyone had a great time, If I remember right- I beat everyone and was completely undefeated the entire time.  Just kidding.  I love it when Jack is in charge because he doesn't let anyone walk all over him.  He makes sure everyone knows who's boss.  We had Nate's No-Bake cookies for the treat.  Good times.  11-6-17

PTA BOARD MEETING
Our board meeting went pretty well this week.  Except that nobody who needed to be there to talk about their activities was there, which annoys me.  But whatever.  It kind of doesn't matter.  I'm still trying to figure out if I should do the whole President thing again.  I'm not convinced that it's the best thing for my family.  11-7-17

BOOK FAIR
So this week it occurred to me that Jami and I are volunteering to help everyone when we don't need to.  We need to step back and let everyone else do their thing.  We need to make it so that people who don't usually volunteer can come out of the woodwork.  It was a busy week for us with Book Fair and SEP dinners, Guests and Goodies and Parent Teacher Conferences.  We were at the school a LOT.  The only thing we should have been there for was counting money.  Not setting up, not taking down, not setting up the dinner for the teachers- there were committees for those positions and we did not need to do all that.  I wish I was better at not volunteering for things.  I have a tendency to think that if I don't do something it won't get done.  Duh.  I will work on that.  11-7-17

PLAYGROUP
So nobody from our ward showed up to playgroup, but there was this cute young mom there with her two boys and a baby.  For the first little while she was sitting in her car feeding her baby, but when she came out, she and I started talking.  It came out that I have 7 older kids and she started asking me for advice.  Having just had her fourth boy she was struggling with how to make it work.  It's always funny to me when people ask me what they can do with the big family thing.  Like there's a quick answer for that :).  Although, if I had to pick one word it would be consistency.  But anyway- it was a cool experience to be able to tell that mom that she didn't seem to have anything to worry about.  Her boys were nice to each other, even being fun with Molly, they were clean, happy, healthy, her baby was too- she was doing a great job as a mom and it showed.  Moms need to hear that more than what they can do differently sometimes.  She seemed pleased with my comment about how when you have all boys, who cares if they act like boys together?!  They are!!  They're having fun, they're enjoying each other's company.  As long as nobody gets hurt what does it matter?  Then I got a phone call from Brooke, basically I'd forgotten about early out and she was at my house dropping off Jack and nobody was there to open the door!!  So I'm probably the wrong person to ask for advice anyway, but it was fun to not give it.  11-8-17

PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES
We had another term of awesome Parent/teacher conferences!!  I'm still loving these :).  It was fun to hear how well Jack is improving.  He has really come a LONG way already!!  So proud of him!  Mrs. Piper loves showing off his progress :).  I would too.  And she deserves all the credit!  Erika had her moment with Mrs. Turnbow and got to come clean.  That was a nice little relief I'm sure, once it was over, but it was definitely a tough one for Erika.  She is also doing really well and making a lot of progress.  It was nice to meet Mrs. Olsen and experience that for the first time.  Noah seems to have made a great impression on her and made us all laugh with his harshness on himself.  He is brutally honest about himself.  But it goes both ways, so I think we're okay there :).  He is so good at talking to his teachers still.  Makes me smile.  And Luke is doing great as well!  It's fun to talk with Mrs. Downs because she just loves Luke!  She was really happy with his scores and all that he is doing.  They make us proud!  It's so nice to have such good kids.  11-8-17

JAZZ TIP OFF PARTY
Since there was no mutual this week (Temple week) and since Kelly and I missed the first one, we all (minus Charity) went down to Vivint Arena and got to stand in line to get pictures with and autographs of players.  They didn't have as many activities as they did the first time, but they were doing the free throws on the court and everyone had  blast doing that.  We were all impressed with Brad's two three pointers that he sank!  Go Brad!  Kelly took the littles around to get pictures for the scavenger hunt only to find that they were out of prizes, which was a total bummer!  We were all slightly bummed that they weren't doing the free ticket vouchers either.  But it was a fun night.  Spending time together is good.  So is free.  11-8-17

KELLY'S RUNNING
I've been really impressed with Kelly's motivation and ability to run a little lately!  She's taken it upon herself to get out and go running.  A few times she ran to the school where I was to get a ride home.  But that's a whole mile!  Pretty good!  That's what she was doing with her Lacrosse team, so I'm proud of her for keeping that up.  11-9-17

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND
Charity's play has finally come to fruition!!  This was her big opening weekend.  She got to do her first performance Friday night and then on Saturday we got the bummer news that some power lines had been hit in the night and the power to most of Kaysville was out!  Luckily not ours.  Unfortunately, though, Davis High's power was out so they had to cancel the matinee and then eventually the night performance as well.  Charity was completely bummed about it!  It was pretty sad.

ADULT SESSION OF STAKE CONFERENCE
I really enjoyed the adult session of conference this time!  I got to sit by the Moore's which is awesome, but the talks were really good.  I felt so motivated and uplifted by it all.  It is always hard to go and sit there without Nate, but it's also nice to be able to get out of the house.  11-11-17





No comments: