My sweet sister-in-law passed away Saturday, March 8th. I've thought about her and her family all week and wanted to compile some of my thoughts.
First of all- I met Jen on the fourthish date with Nate. It was Thanksgiving. Nate and I didn't plan a date, but we wanted to get together so we called going to his brother's house to take them some leftover turkey dinner- a date :). The first thing I felt from Dan and Jen was just love for Nate. They wanted to check me out. They wanted to know who the weirdo was that kept calling their house and asking for Nate :) (long story :) ) And even though I'm pretty sure she wanted Nate to marry her little sister, she accepted me. And more than that, treated me like a sister. I remember getting confused and trying to figure out if Jen was Nate's sister or if Dan was his brother. She really treated him the way a big sister would. With so much love and care. It was awesome.
Nate has said that he felt like a celebrity in the Colver home and I echo that, whenever I was there, with Nate and even later with the kids, I felt like a celebrity too. They just sucked you in and made you never want to leave. It was so nice.
We played games with them, had Dan play the guitar for us, all the while Jen laughed and talked about her family and how much she loved her kids and nieces and nephews, showing me pictures and sharing stories.
I LOVE Jen's laugh. In fact, all week her laugh has been going through my mind. It's so crazy because I don't think it had such an impact on me until I realized I wouldn't ever hear it again.
She was always so happy to see us. Especially if we had a baby in our arms :). She LOVED our babies! I know she loved everyone's babies, but she made you feel like your baby was the sweetest, most beautiful baby on the planet. I don't know how she did that. She would always hold the babies anytime we were over.
She taught me how to play Sequence.
She taught me that it's okay to be yourself.
She LOVED her family. Anything they went through, she went through. She loved them so much. I don't remember hanging out with her when she didn't talk about the latest family drama. And not in a bad way, she really was just so compassionate and cared so much about them that the drama was part of her life too. The new babies, the divorces, the marriages, the bands... she was so proud of her family. That was always cool to me because I felt like our families were kind of similar.
She was a good friend.
She was a fellow sister-in-law in the Maynes family and I always felt a connection with her because of that. We were both married to amazing Maynes Men.
I wish we could have seen her more.
I wish I would have taken the opportunity to tell her how much she meant to me more often. I wish I hadn't let all those chances slip through the cracks.
I am glad that I told her that I loved her a few months ago. I had no idea how much that would matter to me now.
She and Dan were about the cutest couple in the family. In my opinion. They just seemed like best friends. They liked all the same things. They supported each other's hobbies and talents. I never heard Jen say a negative thing about Dan. In fact, I heard her say a LOT of positive things. Anytime she heard about a husband doing something wonderful for his wife, she would say they were doing a Dan thing. She really loved him. And he loved her. It's just so hard for me to believe that that can happen to two people who are so close and such good friends.
Her funeral was beautiful. She had a LOT of people there. I loved that Dan said some things after the family prayer and that he let other people do the same. That was sweet and special.
Her funeral was beautiful. She had a LOT of people there. I loved that Dan said some things after the family prayer and that he let other people do the same. That was sweet and special.
Nate was one of the speakers. Rightfully so. He was a good friend to her. He gave the most perfect talk. I couldn't believe how well it all came together. I love that he referenced fishing :). And I think it's adorable that he was her husband's "dorky little brother". Nate got a little emotional and that was hard to see. He rarely cries.
Jen's Dad spoke and shared a few things about her. She really was such a compassionate, loving, thoughtful person.
I hated watching her boys carry the casket.
I hated watching Liz as they said goodbye.
It's just not fair.
And yet, for Jen, it is. She was in so much pain. All the time. She deserved a break. She is in a better place, feeling whole, feeling free. I can't imagine the relief she feels. The rejoicing that would have taken place on the other side. I'm so happy for her. I'm so happy that she gets to move on to the next stage. I wish Dan and her kids could experience that with her, all together, but that's not how it works. She will be preparing a place for them, I'm sure. Filled with crocheted blankets and lots of love and laughter. Goodbye Jen. I love ya!
Here's the obituary:
Here's the obituary:
Jennifer Elaine (Colver) Maynes passed away quietly on March 8th, 2014 at her home in Riverton, Utah. She was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota on December 3, 1973. She was married in the Salt Lake LDS Temple to Daniel Sharp Maynes on May 3, 1996.
Jen’s greatest achievements were her three children; with whom were the joy of her life. She was a dedicated wife, mother, daughter and sister and loved her family more than anything in this world. Despite the struggle with physical limits placed upon her, she was able to show love to those around her. Beyond this, she loved to crochet, make blankets for comfort, crafts, listening to live music (especially karaoke) with her family.
Jen is survived by her husband Daniel, daughter Elizabeth (16), two sons Allan (15) and Brayden (11), her father Allan Colver and mother Susan Colver, her five siblings and many nieces, nephews and cousins.
Services will be held Thursday, March 13 at 11:00am at the Foothills ward house located at 5246 West Gossamer Way, Riverton Utah 84096. A public viewing will be held from 9:30-10:45am prior to services at the ward.
Those who wish to contribute can donate to the Jen Colver Maynes Memorial Fund at any Mountain America Credit Union. (phone calls or walk ins)

No comments:
Post a Comment