"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Monday, March 24, 2014

Things to Remember Week of 3-16-14

I keep forgetting what year it is... Still.

FAITH AND REPENTANCE
I gave my last lesson in RS this week.  What a train wreck that one was!  I can't believe how nervous I got!  I was almost fine the whole month!!  This was the first month that I wasn't stressed out of my mind about it.  I read it a bunch and had ideas started and then found out I was going to be released and for about 4 hours thought I wasn't going to have to teach the lesson :).  Then the Bishop called and asked if I still would.  That was fine, and I was still not too nervous about it.  I kept thinking about how weird it was to be released so soon when I didn't even feel like I'd really gotten the hang of it, but I was okay with whatever, and slightly relieved that I wasn't going to have to do it anymore.  Not that I didn't like it- it just was really stressful for me :).  So anyway- I was pretty calm about the lesson all the way up until like an hour before church!!  I don't know what happened.  And it got really bad in the middle of the lesson.  The whole time I was so flustered.  I felt like I didn't even know what I was saying or reading... I could hardly hear people's comments amidst all the thoughts going on in my head- it was INSANE!!  I was freaking out inside.  I kept praying that I could be calmed and that things would smooth out, but I don't really think they did.  Then I got all negative too, it felt like.  Ugh.  It was just horrible.  I wish I'd done something differently.  Not sure what.  Hopefully all the Mia Maids' moms that were in there aren't scared for their daughters' spiritual wellfare now knowing that I will be teaching them a couple times a month.... anyway- not my best lesson.  Unfortunately.  3-16-14

ALSO
at church, they had Charity come up (they messed up and didn't have her do it the week before), to get her Faith in God award, her certificate of advancement into YoungWomen, and sustained her as the new Beehive Secretary.  Unfortunately they set her apart for her new calling while I was teaching RS, so I didn't get to be there, but Nate said it was wonderful.  She just seems to be growing up so fast!  I'm excited for her to be doing new things though, she's loving it!  She came home and like a star was already looking up the information she was asked to find for their next activity!  So proud.  3-16-14

WALK
We went on this really nice walk after church.  Just around the block, nowhere special, but it was so relaxing!  I LOVE little walks with the whole family.  Feels so good.  They all have their own thing.  Bradley and Luke were dribbling a ball and throwing it around to each other.  Charity and Kelly take turns telling us their stories.  Erika has to hold my hand and talks her cute little mouth off :).  Noah was dribbling a basketball and cutie Jack konked out in the stroller.  It really was the highlight of my day.  Helped me get over the crappy lesson I gave. 3-16-14

THE WART
Erika has had a wart on her pinky for the past month or so.  It was really big!  I finally made an appointment for her to have it removed, so Tuesday was the day!  She was so excited about it.  I didn't have the heart to tell her it was going to hurt like crazy.  Luke did though.  She kept telling everyone she was going to be tough though.  And boy was that an understatement!  We've had 3 kids to freeze off warts from so far, and all three of them screamed like there was no tomorrow (and in their defense, IT HURTS!  So they had every right to), but not Erika!  She was as still as could be, didn't even flinch from the pain!  We were all in awe.  I think the Doctor was a little worried that she wasn't reacting.  It wasn't til an hour or so later that some of the tears came out.  SO TOUGH!!  She can't wait til it's gone :).  3-18-14

YW
My first YW activity (Well, first again :) ) was tonight!  We went up to the Stake Family History center.  It was a lot of fun!  I already love the girls.  They are so cute.  It's fun to be around teenagers again.  I LOVE teenagers!!  I think they are the coolest, most fun people on the planet.  I wish I could be like them (not to be confused with wanting to BE a teenager-- there is a difference :) ).  In fact, I don't wish those years on anyone.  So tough.  And it's so hard to think about the extra trials that some kids have on top of everything else.  The drama!!  Anyway- I LOVED IT!!  Makes me really excited for this calling.  3-19-14

PONDS
Emily invited us to walk over to the ponds with them.  I made the mistake of taking Buddy.  We all had fun, the kids were happy.  Unfortunately though, the whole thing was tainted (for me- probably not anyone else) because of Buddy.  He was annoying.  The kids fed the ducks though, and seemed to be okay with Buddy barking at them and them not coming within 20 feet of the shore.  He also took me mud skiing which left some awesome leash burns on my hands and lots of muddy duck poop on my pants and shoes... embarrassing.  We walked back to the park though, and had a lot of fun there too.  Good times.  Made up for having to miss playgroup the next day.  3-20-14

STEELHEART
Read another book.  I'm really loving the new reading habit I've picked up.  Especially with so many good books to read.  I finished Steelheart the day before our book club met.  I loved it!  I didn't think I was going to like it when everyone was talking about it, but I don't know why because I love superhero stuff :).  This would be an awesome movie.  If someone else doesn't make it into a movie, I will.  I got Nate to read it.
I love book club.  I think it's the best thing to happen since Playgroup :).  It's the best.  Nate ended up having to work Thursday night, which was a total bummer, and also wrecked my plans for having the kids watched that night.  I had left them the night before with my Mom, so I felt kind of bad leaving them again, but I did anyway.  They did really good.  While they were mostly in bed, and then got up when I walked in the door, and regardless of all the fighting that took place while I was standing out on the driveway talking to Emily, it was a good night- I think they did great.  It was a fun night for me.  Probably good that it's only once a month though :).  Next book- My Story by Elizabeth Smart.  Should be interesting.  3-20-14

CONSTITUTION BOWL, REGISTRATION,
So Friday morning was a little hectic.  I was excited for/dreading it all week.  We had several things that were happening and I wasn't really sure how it was all going to happen.  I had scheduled and re-scheduled sitters so much that I finally just gave up and asked Nate to stay home.  All the cancelling had me freaked out that it was not a good idea.  I'm glad it worked out the way that it did though.  I was much more relaxed all day knowing everyone wasn't getting shuffled around and that everybody wasn't having to do me favors all day.  At 8:20, Kelly and I left for the Constitution bowl.  It was a big day for Kelly in that respect!  She had been studying those questions for MONTHS!  She had them all down, to the point where she only needed a few words of the question to answer it.  We were both really excited to see how well her team would do.  Well, turns out her team was not as prepared as she was.  A lot of them missed questions that they shouldn't have missed.  They were up against a really good team on their first round, tied, and then lost in overtime by two points.  The next round they didn't do as well.  There were only three kids on the team of five that knew the answers.  So they totally got taken.  It was so sad!!!  I hated that they didn't do better.  I really wanted her to make it further.  She was okay with it.  She didn't mind.  We kept talking about how next year she'll kill it! :).  So we went and got some lunch and ate it at the park.  Nate and the littles met up with us after taking Noah to school.  It was a nice time with Kelly.  She of course wanted to go back to school to make sure her State Report that she'd worked so hard on got handed in.  She did such a great job on that too!  We're excited to share our smoked salmon and Alaska Wildberry Products chocolates with her class in a few days.
Which Kelly and I were at the Constitution Bowl, Nate left Erika, Jack and Noah with my Mom and went to help Charity register for 7th grade!  I was bummed I missed this appointment with the counselor, even though I know it was only a couple minutes long.  I just like these things.  Helps with the reality check.  Charity registered for all the honors classes she could so that she can get the AP classes as soon as possible.  She's really gungho, wanting to start now preparing for BYU.  I'm proud of her.  I hope she can really do what she has set out to do.  The homework will be interesting next year, but hopefully she can take it!  We're excited to have a 7th grader!
Nate and I got some bulbs to plant out in the front yard!  Getting excited for that too!
3-21-14

LATE NIGHT
We let the kids invite friends over for pizza and games on Friday night.  It was a mad house- lots of in and out, and I am not sure exactly how many we had here, but felt fun :).  It's fun to just sit back and let the kids entertain themselves.  They were all very wasted that night when we had scriptures and got ready for bed.  Most reverent scripture study this family has had in a very long time.  Kinda nice :).  3-21-14

STAR PARTY
We finally had our beloved Star Party this Saturday!  The kids have been nagging me (much to my dismay) and it was finally a good day for it!  This has become something that they look SO forward to!  It blows my mind how excited they get for it.  And yet how simple it really is.  I let them all make up a game (carnival-ish) that everyone can pay stars to play and then win stars in return.  So we played 6 games.  Erika did a wheelbarrow race.  Noah did a coin toss.  Luke did a bean bag throw that he made his own target on a poster board- way cute (also counted toward one of his cubscout requirements).  Bradley did a fun game he learned at scouts, throwing and catching a ball in a circle- last one standing wins.  Kelly did a frisbee throw and a long jump.  Charity did an obstacle course.  They all had fun, we did have a few little spats and whining that I SO wish we could do without, but I guess I can't complain.  They were pretty good most of the time.  After the games everyone blows all their stars on the auction :).  Lots of fun there.  Nate always goes all out and buys all these fun prizes.  They love it.  I love doing something they love :).  3-21-14


No comments: