"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Stealing

Yesterday was a pretty "big day".  In my world this means that we have a few places we need to be or things on the calendar.  Not really that "big", but SOMETHING that takes up thought and consideration :)  And usually effort too.  So anyway, I had decided I needed to do my workout BEFORE we started the day.  I had failed to wake up early, and so resorted to cramming it into our morning routine.  Of course this becomes something that throws EVERYONE off, and isn't the IDEAL time to do it, but I had no choice.  But after about the 3rd or 4th time of pausing it (we're talking within the first few minutes of the DVD) I realized this 20 minute workout wasn't 20 minutes anymore.  Someone needed a drink, someone was hitting, someone fell off the bed, someone woke up from their nap that had only lasted a few minutes, someone was wanting to use the tv, someone needed to play a game on the computer..... the list goes on.... It was really difficult.  And since this happens pretty often, I'm used to it and I try not to let it bother me, but yesterday it finally occurred to me that with kids, I do NOT have my OWN time.  Time is really not mine.  And if I want to "take some time for myself" I actually have to STEAL that time AWAY FROM my kids!  I can't just have it, or assume it, I have to steal it from them.  It is their time, and I am using it.  Maybe this is a duh thing to everyone else, but it really helped me to realize that if I need to do something for me, I've got to sacrifice sleep to accomplish it.  And honestly, I am okay with that.  It might take me a minute to be okay with it sometimes, but now that I've acknowledged it, I'm really thinking this will help me out a lot with my time management.  Kids are my life.  They are my world, they are my everything.  And I know that one day I will wish I had more to occupy my time with and wish that they were here to ask me for yet another thing, so I better just soak it all up now while I can. 

2 comments:

Sarah Hatch said...

good perspective Christa

Natalie said...

Oh I love this post! Thanks for the always-needed reminder.