"You are not here to live a mediocre to average life; you are here to live an amazing life, a miraculous life. If it weren't for your challenges, there would be no miracles. You must do that which seems impossible, for it is only in the impossible that miracles are had." - author unknown, but very respected

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Jack's 6th Birthday at Bear Lake

So our plans for this weekend didn't really go the way we'd hoped.  For starters, the Daddy Daughter camp out ended up being the same night.  So instead of all of us going up to Bear Lake together, Nate took the girls to their camp out and I took the boys, Grandma Ruthie, and Aunt Jen up to Grandpa Hatch's house in Bear Lake.  The drive there was nice- we all talked a lot.  We went to Coopers for dinner- which is where I took these two pictures- it's so beautiful up there.  Jack tried celery for the first time to get the sting from the wings out of his mouth and found out he really loves it!  He chanted ce-le-ry all night and even the next day!  Too bad he didn't eat the stuff I brought to the lake!  I don't think he likes it as much as he thinks he does :). We didn't love getting stood up by Dawn and Grandpa, but we lived.  

We made our way back to the house for some popcorn and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  Then slept.  
The next morning was nice- I made everyone my new favorite eggs ( I had to improvise because everything at the Bear Lake store has maltodextrin or sugar in it!) they're delicious- eggs, spinach, and pepper jack cheese!  Ruth loved them and ate the whole plate even though she thought it was going to be too much.  Dawn was happy I made eggs, and my dad even ate them!  He doesn't like green stuff.  The kids all had Lucky Charms.  We waited around a little, playing cards and such, for the Idaho Maynes' so that we wouldn't have to try to explain where we were on the lake.  Then we all headed down there.  It was such a relief when Nate showed up!  Not that I wasn't having fun, I just felt so much pressure to entertain everyone.  He takes that pressure off a little I guess.  So he showed up just as we did to the spot off the road that Grandpa had chosen.  It was a great spot, we parked right there and didn't have to haul all the stuff for miles.  We all got situated and then we were able to spoil Jack and "celebrate".  He kept asking me when we were going to "celebrate" :).  So cute.  I did feel kinda bad about his reaction when I told him I wasn't making a big spectacular cake because we didn't have a way of getting it up there, so we talked about doing it Sunday.  But he was super anxious for presents and singing- it was cute!

He passed out his cake and ice cream aka: ice cream sandwiches, before they melted. After singing to him of course.  No candles though :(


Everyone just played and visited to their heart's content!  I was glad that it was an enjoyable temperature and not too much wind- although our canopy did get blown over by a big gust!  My dad's crazy contraptions kept his right side up, so we had a good laugh about our cheap canopy and his frankenstein one again.  Fun stuff :).




The Idaho Maynes were a fun addition to the party!  I was so glad Ruth thought to invite them!  And glad they made the trek.  They're a lot of fun for the kids!

This is out of order- this is when the men were all skipping rocks and having contests and testing out different sized rocks- so much fun!!


Noah's turtle skeleton















I packed this shirt for Nate to put on her at the camp out- so true!



I think this was Jack's little project.  Kinda cool picture right?




I think it was grandpa that finally insisted we do presents!  Jack was not hard to persuade :).


Grandpa always wraps things so tricky!


I just love this picture- that chair was in a reclined position so he just looks so funny admiring his new dinosaur :).  Cracks me up.





This gift was pretty special- Grandma Ruthie gave him some of the skipping rocks she had collected back in 2007 when they came to Alaska with us and we went on the cruise to Fox Island.  That was THE COOLEST BEACH with skipping rocks as far as the eye could see!  Nothing but skipping rocks covered the whole beach.  So cool.  And how cool that Jack now has a piece of that!  She's so cool to save things like that for these younger kids.  Very special. 


I think this is his smoulder.



We gave him his red power ranger and dinosaur.  He loved it!  I was so happy :).



Jen gave him nerf guns!  Love that!





pretty happenin' party :).




The big kids all took a turn getting in the cold water




I love that Jen will take time to play with Molly.  She sure loves Jen.





Erika and Brad took Molly out in the water- they were hilarious to watch.  


Everyone brushed up on their rock skipping the whole time.  There were LOTS of rocks to skip.  



Handsome birthday boy!



I just love this picture! HAHAHA!
















It's like talking her off a cliff... she's a tough one to negotiate with.





We headed back up to grandpa's to gather up our things and then took off for home.





It ended up being a really fun weekend, regardless of how many plans fell through.  I hope Jack enjoyed it.  And actually, on the way home he kept telling us how much fun he had had that day and that he loved his birthday.  He even thanked us all for the fun day at Family Council the next morning.  Love that boy!


So on Sunday we brought a brownie cake with us to Becky's house so that Jack could have his "cake" and blow out the candles officially.  She's a fun one to celebrate with.  







No comments: